Saturday, July 19, 2008

In case you thought we left...

We're still here, just covered in paint! I realize I haven't blogged in a while, we've been busy making this house our home...

Our house is 25 years old...and came with some original wallpaper :) The dining room had a lovely layer of tan paper with tiny red flowers



And the kitchen had 2 layers - top layer was green, then under that was some red wallpaper that had been "primed" over before the green was put up.


I'll spare you the details and cuss words, but the wallpaper was AWFUL to take down. The builders had glued it straight onto the wallboard/drywall with no primer or anything. Therefore, I was ripping drywall down with the wallpaper. We tried every trick in the book. One of the Home Depot experts finally told us to take the wall down and hang new sheet rock. Seriously...that was his suggestion. Regardless, it came down and my mom came to help paint while Andy was in Florida with the youth group (lucky guy). So, we conditioned the walls, mudded, sanded, primed, and painted - 2 coats in the dining room and 3 in the kitchen.

Now, the dining room is a lovely "Smokey Blue"



And I finally have my red kitchen! "Daredevil" red, to be exact.



We even put Josiah to work! Not really, but he loves to walk around with the paintbrush now and pretend to paint the walls.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
angel said...

I'm glad you didn't leave... What a project. It looks great! You and A.K. are so blessed to have a traveling "Martha Stewart Mama" to help you with your home projects!

Jessie said...

Amy - it looks awesome! And I like Josiah's shirt especially!

Anonymous said...

Amy, it looks AMAZING! I know how much hard work goes into projects like this. I'm sure it feels so great to have tackled it and succeeded. Way to go!

Catherine McPherson said...

I feel your pain Amy!! Why did people pick such awful stuff to put on their walls...and so much of it?! You did a great job! It looks fabulous:)

Anonymous said...

Amy- looks beautiful! Call me before your next project and I can share some secrets that I have learned after 25+ years of remodel projects. Definitely makes life easier. Tammy

A.K. said...

thanks for posting a picture of the little one... hopefully that will hold me over for another 5 days!!!!! can't wait to hang out with the beach baby for a whole week!

Ben and Anna said...

love it! the hard work definitely paid off. Now i just need to see it in person.

Anonymous said...

I love the red kitchen!!
our upstairs bathroom was the same way... the previous family had put wallpaper directly onto the wallboard. which was then covered with contact paper. (?!) which was then splatter-painted in a lovely periwinkle. which had a border on top. it was such a pain. :)