Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Veggies 1 - Josiah 0

When Josiah was first eating real food, he would eat anything. I was so proud, letting everyone know that my son ate vegetables and fruit and liked it! A few months ago, he started refusing veggies systematically, until we were down to peas (of all things). But, he still ate all kinds of fruit, so I wasn't worried. Last week, the fruits started going. He was even refusing easy things like bananas and applesauce! I will not let food/mealtimes become a battleground for us...yet I want him to eat healthfully.

Enter Jessica Seinfeld...


Andy's parents gave me "Deceptively Delicious" a while ago and I owe them big time! Thank you Gram & Pop! She has all kinds of recipes that incorporate fruit and vegetable purees, therefore the kiddos get the nutrients without even knowing. I had tried a handful of recipes before, but then put it on the shelf for a while. Today, it came back out :)

I had already decided we were having "breakfast for dinner" tonight since Andy is out of town. I started flipping through the cookbook and found "Peanut Butter Banana Muffins", made with banana and carrot purees, so I got to work and made some!


They were super delicious and chock full of good ingredients - natural peanut butter, whole wheat flour, banana, and carrot! Here is Josiah's reaction, I'll let you be the judge of whether he liked them or not...



He wolfed down TWO of them, thinking he was getting a special treat, and I sat there happy, knowing that he was getting protein, healthy fiber, fruit and veggie all at once! It was a relaxing, fun dinner and I did not even care that the applesauce went untouched after one bite.


Now don't worry, I will continue to put whole fruits and vegetables in front of him, work on "no thank you" bites, etc. But, this enables me to ensure he's getting some nutrients while doing that!

So, here's to being deceptive and delicious!


4 comments:

A.K. said...

i just finished reading that between two-three years of age is when pickyness begins.... right on target little one :)

Catherine McPherson said...

What an adorable smile!:) I've thought about using that cookbook, but never have...let me know how it goes!

kamibethjones said...

awww... so cute!
and SO funny. I have that exact charlie brown plate!!!!!!!!

anna rose said...

i saw her on oprah talking about this. josiah's little face is precious, amy. I stand by my "you made that!" amazement :)